Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Who prefers

This week I scheduled a doctor's appointment and dentist appointment on the same day. I figured it made sense to take care of as much stuff as I could in a day. The doctor was a visit with my new physician and was a follow up to the surgery and all of that from a few months back. Great guy and much closer to home so I feel great about that move.

My blood pressure has always been kinda high I suppose. There is a long list from my work schedule, sleep schedule, how I eat, etc. The doc decided to put me on Blood Pressure medicine to see if that would help me any. I got 2 weeks' worth of a sample and a prescription for when that runs out. Since I had ample time between doctor and dentist, I went to fill my prescription at my local CVS.

I again will say that I am very lucky to have insurance and not one day goes by and I take that for granted. When it was time for me to pick up my meds, I was told it was $55! My insurance paid $1.07! I was stunned and asked the clerk why it was so much and she said I had to call my insurance company. Getting a bill like that and seeing how insurance only paid so little would not keep anyone's blood pressure down.

My Insurance Company told me that my medicine must not be on the "preferred list" of medications. So I asked "then what is" and she said "I don't have that list you will have to go to this website, etc". I thought to myself, you can tell me this medicine is not "preferred" and deny paying anything on it but cannot give me the option on what is? So someone sitting behind a desk at the insurance company who is probably in cahoots with the pharmaceutical companies and doesn't know a thing about me and my conditions is now deciding what is good for me.

And that is going to keep my blood pressure down?