Tuesday, July 19, 2011

What won’t keep my blood pressure down?

A month or so ago I was put on blood pressure medicine by my doctor. My schedule and hours I work and random stress related to all of it I am sure is the reason. I don't have a normal 9-5 job, my work day does not end when I leave the building for the day. It is what it is and I love what I do!

When I got the prescription filled my previous prescription provider said that my medicine was not one of the "preferred" and it cost $55 for basically 30 pills or a month's supply. We have a new prescription provider so I decided to look up the meds I am on now to see if it is "preferred" and if it wasn't, I was going to call my doc and have him prescribe one that does make the list. I got on the website for the prescription provider and saw that "Bystollic" is a preferred brand so I was happy that I would not have to call my doc and switch meds and all that business.

I printed that list and took it with me to CVS and they informed me the total was the same as the previous month. I had them check to see if they updated my info and they had done that. I tried to show them the list I had printed from the provider website and they said I had to call my provider. While waiting for my $55 prescription to be filled I called the provider and told them what was going on and they said they would have to call me back.

No matter the outcome, when I had my last surgery I was given a prescription for Vicodin and those 30 tablets were about $6! $6 for pain killers, a controlled substance that some people abuse, re-sell etc. I have blood pressure medicine that helps with daily quality of life and its $50! I would think the meds that have a high street value and are a risky for abuse would have a higher premium than simple blood pressure medicine.