Sunday, August 22, 2010

I thought you had Sunday off

Not the case today. Working the day job and training a new team member..

Whiteland class of 1985 stopped into Peppers Greenwood last night and I had a blast. Since I graduated in 1986 I could relate to this fun crowd and it was a blast! Of course there was that one person not tuned in to what was going on with the "can you play some Hip Hop and R&B" line that gets annoying after a while. I played "Push It" so I hope that made her happy.

When I start playing I normally try and start off with some old school and rock before the mass of people get there. There are a few reasons behind that. In most cases there is an older crowd that is at the bar early that I would like to try and make happy while they are there since they won't be staying all night. Also, I don't like to be one of these guys that has to play "the hits" over and over. I like to play songs from time to time that will make you say "damn I remember that" or something that might make you think back to an easier or happier time in your life. A good DJ knows to musically educate the people and play old and new and throw a good party.

A Birthday Party was in the back part of the room and a woman approached me 15 minutes after I started and said she remembered me from Tremors nightclub (west side of Indy) and asked if I could play "something they can dance to and some Hip Hop". Well there is more to today's music than Hip Hop like, Black Eyed Peas, Kesha, Lady Gaga, Pitbull etc. And when Juan and I worked in Tremors it was not a lost cause as it is now. I told her I had what was hot on radio and did not go too deep in any music type so I can keep everyone happy.

As I am hitting my Old school and such they sent the waitress to come up and insult me about what I was playing. And she said "that Birthday party said they are falling asleep with this shit, play something they can dance to, they said it felt like they were at Ike and Jonesy's". Well Ike & Jonesy's has been open for a long time, they do a great business and are packed so making that reference I guess was somewhat of a compliment in an odd way. All the waitress had to do was to edit all that negativity and say "can you hook that Birthday party up with some mew stuff" or something less harsh than the other.

Mass appeal music is what has kept me in the game since 1986. I'm not changing that anytime soon..