Monday, August 23, 2010

Open Up

So I fear the dentist like I fear the IRS. Once I get the shots in the mouth, I am good to go. It's the waiting before that which makes me nuts! I had a 12pm appointment today and when I arrived I was told that the power was out and they would be calling people when it got back on to see who they could fit in. Was the power being off a sign? Could it be a message to put off seeing the dentist for another 4 years? I could have used that as my out but I stuck through it and got called back in at 2.

I did tell everyone that I was a big baby and they were all super cool! I was getting the cleaning broke up into 2 visits so there would not be that much mouth pain and the pain of having to pay for all that work in one visit. So I figured half the cleaning today, the other half in a week and I am set. I figured wrong! Once she started the cleaning she glanced at the X-ray and said that I had a tooth that needed immediate attention! I knew this because it was bothering me so I was not overly shocked at this revelation. Come to find out I lost a filling and I needed to either get a molar pulled or a root canal.

Well, we all know that fillings mean drilling so I agreed to get the filling! A few more "shots to the chops" to keep the numbing train rolling and I was good to go. I talked to the doc about the root canal-vs.-pulling. I don't want my grill looking all jacked up so I told him I would get the root canal done. The whole time I had my IPOD rocking with some Alice In Chains, Haste The Day & Godsmack. I did a good job of drowning out the drilling but my ears were ringing from the music being too loud. Can't win every battle I suppose.

They gave me a prescription for the pain as well as an antibiotic. Since I am not getting any younger, I am going to stick with the treatment plan they have in place and get all this taken care of. It sucks and is gonna cost a few bucks but I am very lucky to have a job with benefits so I can't complain as far as that goes.

Speaking of pain, time to pop a Vicodin…